Live from AU2008: Day 2: WOW

Published 03 December 2008

Posted by Al Dean

Article tagged with: autodesk, technical publications, technical illustrations, sketching tech preview, au2008

Yesterday I showed you some pics from the keynote sessions at Autodesk University. Today I’ve got some really grainy, shakey* videos of the new technology that the company showed off during the Manufacturing specific Keynote this very morning.

#1: This stuff looks absolutely incredible. Honestly. I sat there, open mouthed, in shear, awe of what this product looks to be shaping up into. It hasn’t got a name, there’s no confirmed release date. But this HAS to come to market. Things to look out for are the slick sketching interface for concept work, the way curves are accurate, how you can set up mirror planes, deform portions of sketches. The refinement interface method for curve sketching is amazing as is how it interprets view, your input and creates 3D networks. And the last point. It’s running on a Mac. Natively. I think Autodesk just made the best decision they’ve made in many many years.

#2: Next up is the ‘possible’ future Inventor user interface. Things to look out for are the new UI, the direct editing of geometry, the marking/radial menus. Things are shaping up nicely from first looks. There’s going to be a tech preview available soon - more details @ www.inventorfusion.com

#3: Finally, some forthcoming technology for creating Technical Illustrations and Publications directly within Inventor. Natively in the interface, no external applications, set-up explodes, all that good stuff and create the view/presentation style you want. Then publish it, either statically as images or digitally and interactively.

*come on, I’ve been in Las Vegas since Sunday peeps

Comments:

Doesn't "sitting in shear" kind of hurt? wink

Posted by Greg on 01 January 1970 at 01:00 AM

Thanks for posting the videos, Al. The sketching interface is super cool. Reminds me of ILoveSketch.

Posted by Big Joe on 01 January 1970 at 01:00 AM

Look how cool that product documentation software is. My god. So easy to explode...so intuitive.

Posted by colo on 01 January 1970 at 01:00 AM

Hate to spoil the party, but the Sketch stuff is not really a new idea. Plus all I saw were curves. <BR><BR>Check out Pro/CONCEPT from PTC if it still exists, has been around since 2001. Granted it hasn't been updated in a while, and I doubt there is anyone left to support it. But the initial idea was great. Curve and "surface" modeling in 3D inside a paint application. Also ran on the Mac.

Posted by Thomas Teger on 01 January 1970 at 01:00 AM

Wasn't that your project at PTC Thomas? its similar, but Pro/COncept never got supported, and didn't gain much traction dude.. I think they killed it.

Posted by Al Dean on 01 January 1970 at 01:00 AM

As a matter of fact, it was. How did you know? Was one of the last things I did before I left.<BR><BR>You are right, unfortunately it never got anywhere. Pretty much like all the other ID tools. <BR><BR>But I just found that CAID is now a section under Pro/ENGINEER on the PTC website. And look what I found ...<BR><BR>http://ptc.com/products/proengineer/proconcept

Posted by Thomas Teger on 01 January 1970 at 01:00 AM

wowzers - I was expecting a 404. the problem i had with Pro/Concept was that you couldn't do much with the data once you've built the meshed model.. it was a bit ahead of its time I think..<BR><BR>this autodesk stuff is interesting because of the way you refine the sketch curve, and the way it interpolates their 3D position.. its in the details...

Posted by Al Dean on 01 January 1970 at 01:00 AM

You mean the surface model? True. Yes - the weak link was and still is the integration between concept and engineering.<BR><BR>The problem is see with the Autodesk stuff is yeah nice curve - but how do I get this now to a 3D model (that I can render in HyperShot- hehe)? Not even talking about getting it into a production model. <BR><BR>Classic, fundamental problem.

Posted by Thomas Teger on 01 January 1970 at 01:00 AM

Thomas, I think you may have missed the part of the presentation where we showed the curve network automatically generating a set of work surfaces.<BR><BR>As planar curves (splines) are created, infinite length work surfaces are generated perpendicular to the curve sketch plane. As sketches are developed in multiple ortho views, sets of intersecting work geometry are automatically generated.

Posted by jtedeschi on 01 January 1970 at 01:00 AM